COLORADO SPRINGS – With recent weather activity providing much needed humidity, the City of Fountain, Manitou Springs and El Paso County have all moved from phase two to phase one of fire restrictions effective as of June 3.
El Paso County Sheriff’s Office Sheriff Elder demoted to first step for entire Unincorporated El Paso County. Stage 1 restrictions take effect immediately and the following are prohibited:
- Open burning, exceptions being fires and campfires inside permanently constructed fire grates in developed campgrounds and picnic areas; charcoal barbecues and wood-burning stoves in private residences in areas cleared of flammable materials.
- The sale or use of fireworks.
- Smoking outdoors, except in an enclosed vehicle or building, furnished recreation site, or stationary in an area at least three feet in diameter that is sterile or cleared of all flammable materials.
Manitou Springs Fire Chief John K. Forsett also ordered Manitou Springs to transition from Phase Two to Phase One, effective immediately. These restrictions are in accordance with El Paso County and the City of Colorado Springs and are defined as follows:
First stage restrictions in Manitou springs are defined as follows:
- Open fires and open burning are prohibited, with the exception of fires in permanently constructed fire pits in city RV and campground parks; private residential charcoal barbecues and smokers, wood-burning fireplaces (chimneys) or fire pits, provided they have appropriate screen covers and are separated by at least 15 feet from structures or other combustible materials.
- Smoking outside of any tobacco product or similar material in cigarettes, cigars or pipes is prohibited, except that smoking is permitted within 15 feet of a disposal container approved by the city in city-approved locations. It is also prohibited to dispose of lit cigarettes, cigars or pipe tobacco products outside, other than in a city-approved receptacle.
These restrictions do not apply to gas grills used outdoors, or to fires inside liquid fuel or gas stoves. In addition, compliant fireplaces and wood stoves in private residences are not included.
Stage one restrictions came into effect in the City of Fountain Friday noon also:
All residents should always exercise caution and observe all restrictions.