House “a total loss” after the fire on the coast of Kāpiti

A local resident said he was awakened by

Ness Simons / Supplied

A local resident said he was awakened by “a strong smell of plastic” and, moments later, by the sound of fire trucks.

Fire and emergency services, ambulances and police were all called in after a fire that ravaged a house in Otaihanga, on the Kāpiti coast, on Thursday morning.

Nigel White, a nearby resident, lives on Toroa St, where the fure occurred. He said the fire was well established when he woke up around 6:30 a.m.

“The house ignited very quickly and the garage ignited and burned very hot. It would have been terrifying if anyone was in there. We’re really happy that no one is inside, ”White said.

Fire and Emergency Shift Supervisor (FENZ) Carlos Dempsey said there was no one in the house at the time and there were no reports of injuries from the fire, which occurred at 6:20 a.m.

* The Upper Hutt house where a person died in a fire falls back
* Biker and passenger killed in SH1 crash near Levin
* Houses evacuated after the vegetation fire on the Kāpiti coast which is now extinct

Dempsey said the blaze could be seen from Paraparaumu as the crews departed, and crews from Waikanae, Wellington and Remutaka were called in to help.

White said the house has been occupied by the same people since arriving in the neighborhood 12 years ago.

“Our hearts are with them, it would be a real tragedy to lose your home,” White said.

White said firefighters arrived quickly and he was impressed with how quickly the blaze was brought under control.

“It’s only when you see them in action that you realize how effective and professional they are,” he said.

Nigel White said firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control (file photo)


Nigel White said firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control (file photo)

Four fire engines, a truck breathing apparatus and a command unit attended the scene.

CarlosDempsey said the roof of the building had collapsed and “the house appears to be a total loss”.

The blaze had been brought under control by 8 a.m. and a shovel was being used to turn over the debris as crews cushioned hot spots.

Dempsey said the fire was not treated as a suspect at this point.

Police confirmed witnessing the fire on Toroa Rd shortly before 7:45 a.m., with fire and emergency departments and police investigating the cause.

Do you know more? E-mail [email protected]

About Justin Howze

Check Also

A former address of Mark Zuckerberg is for sale: photos

The Silicon Valley home where Mark Zuckerberg once operated the world’s largest social media network, …